The Ebira Peoples Association was formed in 1967 to among other objectives serve as a rallying point for the Ebira people and work for the unity of the people. It is also envisaged that it will be the mouth piece of the people in times of need and agitation for better welfare for the area.
Ebira People’s Association (EPA) was formed to answer the quest for the political, social and economic emancipation of ebira race as an entity in the then fledgling republic of Nigeria. The first President of the organisation was Dr AbdulMumuni Atta, an iconic national figure that was one of the earliest Medical Doctors produced in the Northern Nigeria.
EPA was very instrumental to providing Ebira race with leadership especially in the post civil war development and unity of Nigeria. It meritoriously represented Ebira race at various fronts in the talks leading to formation of governments and its policies at the post war Nigeria.
EPA was formed on a motto of “Unity is Strength” as a cardinal aim meaning it was to resolve all internecine squabbles of clannish, religious, primordial, land tussles and communal differences of Ebira people with a view to uniting its people and gain strength.
Amongst the several achievements of EPA in Ebiraland till date are:
1. Enlightenment of its people at the several turn of national policies, programmes and event.
2. Articulating a home grown view of its people and presenting same to any government of relevant jurisdiction at regional state and national levels as the case may be.
3. Intervening in cultural issues towards developing a template for celebrating Ebira cultural festivals.
4. Convening the annual national conference of Ebira people.
5. Organising scholarship and scholarly awards to indigent and illustrious sons and daughters of the race.
6. Has been the leading voice for the maintenance of the local authority , state and federal educational institutions and even asking for more of same in the land.
7. Leading voice in the search for maintenance of infrastructure in the land.